The bible tells us from a dispensational perspective that the ‘law and the prophets’ existed from Moses all the way up to the time of John the Baptist.
On a fairly regular basis, I will come across people who tell me that they are not only ‘Torah observant’, but that they are also ‘sabbath keepers’. Almost never have any of these people been Jewish, usually they are nominal Christians who were sold a bill of goods by some charlatan telling them how to ‘get back to their Hebrew roots’ to have a ‘deeper experience’ through the Torah. Fortunately the bible very accurately defines what it means to be a biblical sabbath keeper.
“Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.” Exodus 31:16,17 (KJB)
So without any further ado, let’s dive right in and see what the actual definition of a sabbath keeper is, according to the original instructions that God gave to Moses to give to the literal, physical and visible children of the nation of Israel.
- ARE YOU A CHILD OF ONE OF THE 12 TRIBES OF ISRAEL? This is the easiest question of the three, and takes no time at all to answer. Are you a child of one of the 12 tribes of the nation of Israel from the Old Testament? That’s super-important because the sabbath, which God repeatedly tells Moses is a ‘sign between me and the children of Israel’, is not given to anyone who is not a child of one of the 12 tribes of Israel. If you answered yes, congrats! You may continue with the test. If you answered no, game over, you’re definitely not a biblical sabbath keeper because you don’t qualify. Sorry. “And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.” Exodus 31:12,13 (KJB)
- ARE YOU STOPPING ALL WORK ON THE SABBATH? The second thing is there is to be no work of any kind on the sabbath day, that is from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, no exceptions. If you do perform work on the sabbath, God tells Moses to put you to death. If you answered yes, congrats! You may continue with the test. But if you answered no, that in fact you occasionally perform work on the sabbath, I have some bad news for you. God says you must be put to death. Now, if you thought this question was tough, wait till #3! “Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.” Exodus 31:15 (KJB)
- ARE YOU CONSENTING TO THE DEATH OF OTHERS WHO DEFILE THE SABBATH? Lastly, according the instruction God gave to Moses regarding the sabbath, in order for you to keep the sabbath, you must consent to the souls of those who defile the sabbath being ‘cut off’ and ‘put to death’. Yikes, really? You can do that? You have done that? Don’t lie, that’s a sin as well. “Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.” Exodus 31:14 (KJB)
“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:15 (KJB)
By this point it becomes rather clear that you are not a sabbath keeper, even if you’re Jewish and one of the 12 tribes of the nation of Israel. Sure, maybe you ‘go to temple’ from time to time on a Friday, and participate in some of the ceremonial rituals of the sabbath, but you absolutely are not doing it in accordance to Exodus 31. Are any in your congregation cut off and put to death when they ‘defile the sabbath’ by working? Nope, they are not. That’s because you are not keeping the sabbath of the Law of Moses according to the bible. As always, rightly dividing has the answer.
“The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it. And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.” Luke 16:16,17 (KJB)
The bible tells us from a dispensational perspective that the ‘law and the prophets’ existed from Moses all the way up to the time of John the Baptist. At that point there was a change, the Author of the Law walked among men, and He gave new instructions. After His death, burial and resurrection, Jesus desired to give the long-awaited Kingdom to the Jews, and they almost got it. But when they executed Stephen in Acts 7, thus rejecting the clear preaching of the Holy Ghost, the ‘window of heaven’ closed, Jesus sat back down, and a brand-new dispensation was opened that we call the Church Age. Not coincidentally, it is in this new Church Age where we find the first Christians mentioned in Acts 11:16. Paul tells us in Galatians 3 that if you are a born again Christian, you are a child of God as well as the seed of Abraham who was before the Law. You are not a seed of or in the lineage of Moses.
“And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.” Acts 11:26 (KJB)
This is where we leave things, with you now secure in the knowledge that despite being ‘Torah observant’ you are in no wise ‘keeping the sabbath’. Not because I said so, but because the bible says so. If you are a Jew, you now know that you must accept the sacrifice of the promised Messiah Yeshua, or stand to face Antichrist in the time of Jacob’s trouble. Option 3 is you dying in your sins and going to the Hell your rabbi tells you doesn’t exist. Choice, choices…pick one. If you wait too long, the choice will be made for you.
“Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment: It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.” Acts 15:24-29 (KJB)
Click on the image below to be taken to our articles on the Hebrew Roots Movement cult, you know, the people who convinced you that you needed to become an Old Testament sabbath keeper. It is our hope and prayer that the information presented here today from the bible will release you from the bondage you are currently under, and usher you into the cleansing light and freedom found only in the gospel of the grace of God.
Bible Studies That Will Help You:
- NTEB RADIO BIBLE STUDY: We Are In The Overlap Between The Ending Of The Church Age And Before The Start Of The Time Of Jacob’s Trouble
- NTEB RADIO BIBLE STUDY: As The Present Church Age Closes It Will Overlap The Coming Time Of Jacob’s Trouble
- NTEB RADIO BIBLE STUDY: Jesus Came To Prepare The Jews For The Kingdom Of Heaven, Christians In The Church Age Is Something Altogether Different
Now The End Begins is your front line defense against the rising tide of darkness in the last Days before the Rapture of the Church
- HOW TO DONATE: Click here to view our GoFundMe page
When you contribute to this fundraising effort, you are helping us to do what the Lord called us to do. The money you send in goes primarily to the overall daily operations of this site. When people ask for Bibles, we send them out at no charge. When people write in and say how much they would like gospel tracts but cannot afford them, we send them a box at no cost to them for either the tracts or the shipping, no matter where they are in the world. Even all the way to South Africa. We even restarted our weekly radio Bible study on Sunday nights again, thanks to your generous donations. All this is possible because YOU pray for us, YOU support us, and YOU give so we can continue growing.
But whatever you do, don’t do nothing. Time is short and we need your help right now. If every one of the 15,860+ people on our daily mailing list gave $4.50, we would reach our goal immediately. If every one of our 150,000+ followers on Facebook gave $1.00 each, we would reach 300% of our goal. The same goes for our 15,900 followers on Twitter. But sadly, many will not give, so we need the ones who can and who will give to be generous. As generous as possible.
“Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;” Titus 2:13 (KJV)
“Thank you very much!” – Geoffrey, editor-in-chief, NTEB
- HOW TO DONATE: Click here to view our GoFundMe page