It is nearly impossible to believe now, but there was a time when not only did doctors not wash their hands in the hospitals, they didn’t even know of the existence of disease-causing germs and microbes. But the Bible did.
Since the start of the twentieth century, mind-boggling advances in science, medicine and technology have become commonplace. Diseases that once killed millions now bother almost no one, time-saving devices are everywhere, and with the latest scientific technology we learn more about our universe every day. So it might shock you to realize that the bible knew about many of these things and talked about them thousands of years before any scientist anywhere had a clue.
“O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.” 1 Timothy 6:20,21 (KJV)
Here Are 10 Amazing Things The Bible Knew Before Science Did:
- OCEAN CURRENTS FOLLOW A PATH: Back in Psalm 8, God tells us that our massive oceans which cover 75% of our Earth run on a specific and chartable path. These paths would not be discovered until thousands of years later when Matthew Maury read about them in his King James Bible, believed God, and in 1855 became the father of modern day Oceanography. “The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas. O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!” Psalm 8:8,9 (KJV)
- OUR UNIVERSE IS WEARING DOWN: The Second Law of Thermodynamics which states that the world we live in exists in a state of entropy, which is to say it is wearing down and growing old. This was discovered through painstaking research from 1824 to 1873, but was right there in the Bible the whole time where God clearly points out that our world is in a process of wearing out. “Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands. They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed: But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.” Psalm 102:25-27 (KJV)
- OUR UNIVERSE IS EXPANDING: In the early Twentieth Century, Albert Einstein declared that our universe and solar system were static, and this was a widely-held belief among academia. But work done by astronomer Edwin Hubble in 1929 proved otherwise when he showed that galaxies were actually retreating at an ever-increasing rate of speed. Einstein eventually corrected his miscalculations and from that point on taught of an expanding universe. But in we read in the Bible that God created a system that was expanding as a result of being stretched out. “The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.” Zechariah 12:1 (KJV)
- LIGHT CAN BE SENT AND TALK: With the invention of the radio, man proved that light could be sent in a directed path and once arrived at its destination manifest itself in human speech. Radio waves and light waves are both part and parcel of the larger electromagnetic wave system. The difference between radio and light waves is their frequency, but radio waves are a form of light. Naturally, the Bible knew all about light that could be sent and radio waves that could be made to speak. “Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?” Job 38:35 (KJV)
- THE HUMAN BODY IS MADE OF THE SAME ELEMENTS AS SOIL: Scientists have found out that our human bodies are composed of 28 base and trace elements some of which are oxygen, hydrogen, and nitrogen, along with calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur and others. These are exactly the same elements found in soil, which is where the Bible declared God formed Adam from. “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.” Genesis 2:7 (KJV)
- LIGHT CAN BE DIVIDED: It wasn’t until the 18th and 19th centuries that scientists like Sir Isaac Newton and other discovered many fascinating things about light like the fact that it can be divided, or parted, and then recombined. FUN FACT: light when it is parted displays the same 7 color bands that make up the rainbow. But God in the book of Job had already told us that light can be parted. “By what way is the light parted, which scattereth the east wind upon the earth?” Job 38:24 (KJV)
- EVERYTHING IS MADE UP OF INVISIBLE ELEMENTS: In the 19th century and forward, with the discovery of the existence of protons, neutrons and electrons, we began to understand that everything that we can see with our eyes sits on a structure that is very real and completely invisible to the naked eye. The apostle Paul was the first one to break this news flash to us in the book of Hebrews. “Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.” Hebrews 11:3 (KJV)
- WASHING HANDS STOPS SPREAD OF DISEASE: It is nearly impossible to believe now, but there was a time when not only did doctors not wash their hands in the hospitals, they didn’t even know of the existence of disease-causing germs and microbes. But in 1846, a doctor by the name of Ignaz Semmelweis figured out that washing hands between patients in running water instead of a bowl of still water saved lives. And it was not the soap that was responsible, it was the running water carrying away the germs. Of course, that information had already been published in the Bible for thousands of years. “And when he that hath an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself seven days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean.” Leviticus 15:13 (KJV)
- OUR LIFE IS IN OUR BLOOD: For nearly all of human history, science has been ignorant that human life exists in the quality of the blood in our bodies. It is only relatively recently that science has learned how to test the blood in order to diagnose health issues. Blood-letting was practiced for centuries which only served to speed the death of its victims. Practices like this existed because doctors were ignorant of the functions of our blood. This is how our first president George Washington died. But the Bible had already declared that life is in our blood way back in Leviticus.“For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.” Leviticus 17:11 (KJV)
- EVERYTHING IS FINISHED: The First Law of Thermodynamics states that heat is a form of energy, and thermodynamic processes are therefore subject to the principle of conservation of energy. This means that heat energy cannot be created or destroyed. That matter cannot be created and cannot be destroyed comes from observations and research done beginning in the late 18th century. But anyone who had a Bible that contained the book of Genesis already knew that creation was all finished during the first week of God’s creation. “Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.” Genesis 2:1,2 (KJV)
Here we have shown you 10 big things the Bible knew and talked about thousands of years before the medical and scientific communities discovered them, but there are dozens and perhaps even one hundred more places where the Bible does this. Like when it tells us that the Earth is round. Some of the greatest discoveries were made by Christians like Sir Isaac Newtown and Matthew Maury because they believed in what the Bible said, went looking for the truth, and found it!
“The rule is, never to forget who is the Author of the great volume which nature spreads out before us.”— Matthew Fontaine Maury
Of course, the greatest thing the Bible tells us that millions of people live right now would love to know the answer to, is how to live forever.