The Roman Catholic Church declares that anyone who believes in Jesus Christ alone for their salvation, and receives that salvation by grace through faith alone, is cursed by them. This is what they decided at the Council of Trent.
Perhaps the most defining event of the Roman Catholic church since its inception in 325 AD was the Council of Trent which was the Vatican’s response to the then brand-new movement of something called the Protestant Reformation. At the Council of Trent, many important things were decided and officially codified into the Catholic canon of teaching. The decided that the Biblical doctrine of salvation by grace through faith alone was bad for business, and had to go. So, out it went.
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:8-10 (KJV)
People get mad at when I say, as a former Roman Catholic, that according to the Bible, Catholics are not Christians, and they’re not. This is true because born again Christians follow the teachings of the Bible in general and the writings of the apostle Paul in particular, whilst Catholics follow the teachings and writings of the Roman Catholic Church which exist outside of the Bible. The Council of Trent is an excellent example of this.
So just for fun, I thought it would be interesting to place a few of the “infallible declarations” from the Council of Trent that speak to the doctrine of justification alongside matching verses from the Bible, and let’s see if the Roman Catholic religion matches up with Biblical Christianity. Ready? Go!
- Council of Trent Session 6, Canon 9: If anyone says that the sinner is justified by faith alone, meaning that nothing else is required to cooperate in order to obtain the grace of justification, and that it is not in any way necessary that he be prepared and disposed by the action of his own will, let him be anathema. source
- The King James Holy Bible: “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” Titus 3:5-7 (KJB) WINNER!
- Council of Trent Session 6, Canon 14: If any one saith, that man is truly absolved from his sins and justified, because that he assuredly believed himself absolved and justified; or, that no one is truly justified but he who believes himself justified; and that, by this faith alone, absolution and justification are effected; let him be anathema. source
- The King James Holy Bible: “Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.” Galatians 2:16 (KJB) WINNER!
- Council of Trent Session 6, Canon 33: If any one saith,that,by the Catholic doctrine touching Justification, by this holy Synod inset forth in this present decree, the glory of God, or the merits of our Lord Jesus Christ are in any way derogated from, and not rather that the truth of our faith, and the glory in fine of God and of Jesus Christ are rendered (more) illustrious; let him be anathema. source
- The King James Holy Bible: “Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.” Romans 5:1,2 (KJB) WINNER!
Let’s pull over and park for a moment, and consider what is being said in just these 3 small examples. Ready very carefully what is being put forth by the Catholic Church. Over and over they are declaring as doctrine that if anyone, that’s you, believes that a sinner is justified before God by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone, then they are anathema. What does ‘anathema’ mean? According to the Webster’s 1828 dictionary, it means ‘one that is cursed by ecclesiastical authority; someone or something intensely disliked or loathed; a ban or curse solemnly pronounced by ecclesiastical authority and accompanied by excommunication; the denunciation of something as accursed‘. Now stop…and let that sink in.
The Roman Catholic Church declares that anyone who believes in Jesus Christ alone for their salvation, and receives that salvation by grace through faith alone, is cursed by them. They are saying that if you believe the Bible, and nothing else, that if you trust Jesus, and nothing else, they curse you. Salvation by grace through faith alone is the bedrock of the gospel of the grace of God. Salvation by grace through faith in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ alone is the gospel of the grace of God. And by their own declarations and in their own words they are against it. So you tell me how the Roman Catholic Church can possibly be a “christian” organization? That is not possible.
“So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.” Revelation 17:3-6 (KJB)
It is the Catholic church itself who declare themselves to be non-Christian, the Council of Trent is indisputable truth of it. That brings us to the last point, and that is why the Roman Catholic Church would teach such a thing when it is in obvious opposition to the Bible. They do it for many reasons, the primary one being that they come out of Rome, and are the modern-day representatives of ancient pagan Rome. It is Rome that killed all the Christians before conducting a hostile takeover in 325 AD, and hijacking the true Church for over a thousand years. The last thing the Catholic church wants is for you to think for yourself, pray for yourself, and open that Bible for yourself. Because when you do that, you quickly discover that the Roman Catholic Church is actually Mystery, Babylon, and the one who has shed the blood of the saints, and will continue to do so until they meet they end in Revelation 18.
Now The End Begins is your front line defense against the rising tide of darkness in the last days before the Rapture of the Church
- HOW TO DONATE:Click here to view our GoFundMe page
When you contribute to this fundraising effort, you are helping us to do what the Lord called us to do. The money you send in goes primarily to the overall daily operations of this site. When people ask for Bibles, we send them out at no charge. When people write in and say how much they would like gospel tracts but cannot afford them, we send them a box at no cost to them for either the tracts or the shipping, no matter where they are in the world. Even all the way to South Africa. We even restarted our weekly radio Bible study on Sunday nights again, thanks to your generous donations. All this is possible because YOU pray for us, YOU support us, and YOU give so we can continue growing.
But whatever you do, don’t do nothing. Time is short and we need your help right now. If every one of the 13,131 people on our daily mailing list gave $4.50, we would reach our goal immediately. If every one of our 151,781 followers on Facebook gave $1.00 each, we would reach 300% of our goal. The same goes for our 14,500 followers on Twitter. But sadly, many will not give, so we need the ones who can and who will give to be generous. As generous as possible.
“Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;” Titus 2:13 (KJV)
“Thank you very much!” – Geoffrey, editor-in-chief, NTEB
- HOW TO DONATE: Click here to view our GoFundMe page