US Official Killed In Libya Terror Attack On US Consulate On 9/11 Anniversary
A US official has been killed and others wounded in Libya as an armed mob protesting over a film they said offended Islam attacked the US consulate in Benghazi.
Libya’s Supreme Security Committee spokesman said: “One American staff member has died and a number have been injured in the clashes.“ But Abdel Monem al Hurr said he did not know the exact number of injured.
Armed gunmen attacked the compound on Tuesday evening, clashing with Libyan security forces before the latter withdrew as they came under heavy fire. Reporters on the scene said they could see looters raiding the compound, walking off with desks, chairs and washing machines.
Libya’s deputy interior minister Wanis al Sharef said that other staff members were evacuated “and are safe and sound”. In the Egyptian capital, Cairo, earlier, protesters climbed the walls of the US embassy, tore down the American flag and burned it.
The protests were sparked by outrage over a video being promoted by an extreme anti-Muslim Egyptian Christian campaigner in the US, which the demonstrators say insults the Prophet Mohammed.
The US condemned the attack in Benghazi, amid reports that the mission had been set on fire and targeted with rocket-propelled grenades. ”We can confirm that our office in Benghazi, Libya, has been attacked by a group of militants,” State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.
“We condemn in strongest terms this attack,” she added in a statement issued before reports of the death, which came on the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
US officials were working with the Libyans to secure the compound, Nuland said, adding that the earlier protest in Cairo had ended. Abdelmonoem al Horr, a spokesman for the Libyan interior ministry’s security commission, said the grenades were fired from a nearby farm at the building.
Security forces and the interior ministry were trying to contain the situation, he added.
The film apparently depicts Mohammed as a fraud, showing him having sex and calling for massacres. Many Muslims consider any depiction of the prophet to be offensive. But officials said it remained unclear whether the two protests in Benghazi and Cairo had been coordinated or whether they were linked.
“We cannot confirm any connection between these incidents,” said a senior State Department official, asking to remain anonymous. source – SKY News
|Print article||This entry was posted by NTEB News Desk on September 12, 2012 at 5:11 am, and is filed under Islam, Islamic Terrorism, Middle East, Muslim Brotherhood. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.|
about 3 weeks ago - 46 comments
about 1 month ago - 15 comments
about 5 months ago - 21 comments
about 5 months ago - 27 comments
about 6 months ago - 43 comments
The Obama administration is purging!. The two figures most linked to the disaster in Benghazi, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Petraeus, are gone. The figure most linked with Fast and Furious, Eric Holder, will be gone. The figure most linked to the administration’s economic failures, Secretary of the Treasury Tim Geithner, will be gone.
about 6 months ago - 14 comments
In an astonishing display of media malpractice, CBS News quietly released proof–two days before the election, far too late to reach the media and the public–that President Barack Obama lied to the public about the Benghazi attack, as well as about his later claim to have called the attack “terrorism” from the beginning.
about 6 months ago - 18 comments
At least two networks have emails from the National Security Adviser’s office telling a counterterrorism group to stand down,” Gingrich told Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren. “They were a group in real-time trying to mobilize Marines and C-130s and the fighter aircraft, and they were told explicitly by the White House ‘stand down and do nothing. This is not a terrorist action.’”
about 6 months ago - 22 comments
about 7 months ago - 15 comments
about 7 months ago - 18 comments
The White House is declining to say when President Barack Obama first learned of three e-mails that the State Department sent to the White House on Sept. 11, 2012, directly notifying the Executive Office of the President that the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi was under attack, that U.S. Amb. Chris Stevens was at the Benghazi mission at the time of the attack, and that the group Ansar al-Sharia had taken credit for the attack.