Oh, the unsearchable riches of the King James Bible.
The Bible critics are so quick to point out that the King James Bible is out of date, old-fashioned, and needs to be put in “modern language” so the “common” people can understand it. But is that really true…or…could it true that the King James Bible is so up to date that we get most of how we speak and write from it still? Let’s take a look and find out.
“The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.” Psalm 12:6 (KJV)
What follows is a brief list of words and phrases we use everyday of our life that originated in the English language as found in the King James Authorized Version 1611 Holy bible. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as we enjoyed compiling it for you.
Everyday Phrases We Use That Came From The King James Bible:
- A Broken Heart: “The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.” Psalms 34:18 (KJV)
- A Drop In The Bucket: “Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing.” Isaiah 40:15 (KJV)
- A Labour Of Love: “We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers; Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;” Thessalonians 1:2,3 (KJV)
- A Man After My Own Heart: “But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.” Samuel 13:14 (KJV)
- A Multitude Of Sins: “Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.” James 5:20 (KJV)
- A Thorn In The Flesh: “And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.” 2 Corinthians 12:7 (KJV)
- My Brother’s Keeper: “And the Lord said unto Cain, where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother’s keeper?” Genesis 4:9 (KJV)
- Reap What You Sow: “Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap” Galatians 6:7 (KJV)
- At My Wit’s End: “They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits’ end.” Psalms 107:27 (KJV)
- Cast The First Stone: “So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her” John 8:7 (KJV)
- Eat, Drink And Be Merry!: “Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun.” Ecclesiastes 8:15 (KJV)
- Fight The Good Fight: “Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.” I Timothy 6:12 (KJV)
- Father Forgive Them: “Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.” Luke 23:34 (KJV)
- In The Twinkling Of An Eye: “In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.” I Corinthians 15:52 (KJV)
- Many Are Called, Few Are Chosen: “For many are called, but few are chosen.” Matthew 22:14 (KJV)
- Physician, Heal Thyself: “And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.” Luke 4:23 (KJV)
- Reap The Whirlwind: “For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up.” Hosea 8:7 (KJV)
- Spare The Rod, Spoil The Child: “He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.” Proverbs 13:24 (KJV)
- Apple Of His Eye: “He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye.” Deuteronomy 32:10 (KJV)
- The Powers That Be: “Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.” Romans 13:1 (KJV)
- White As Snow: “I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.” Daniel 7:9 (KJV)
- A Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing: “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.” Matthew 7:15 (KJV)
- Writing On The Wall: “In the same hour came forth fingers of a man’s hand, and wrote over against the candlestick upon the plaister of the wall of the king’s palace: and the king saw the part of the hand that wrote.” Daniel 5:5 (KJV)
- You’re The Man: “And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man.” 2 Samuel 12:7 (KJV)
- Let There Be Light: “And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.” Genesis 1:3 (KJV)
These are just a few of the hundreds phrases from the “archaic” King James Bible that we use each and every day of our ultra-modern lives. And it’s no accident that in most of the other “modern” versions, these phrases do not appear as we use them today in our daily speech.
If you think of any that we have not listed here, please add them in the comments section below!