“For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God”
“The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.” Psalm 14:1
The website ATHEIST MIND HUMAN HEART recently held a contest for their followers to create a new atheist version of the Ten Commandments from the bible. People from 18 countries and 27 states submitted 2,804 entries with 6,168 votes cast for the winners.
The panel of judges was comprised of prominent atheists, LGBT members, humanists and authors. Below is the list of winning entries that now constitute the Atheist 10 Non-Commandments. And just for fun, after each one we added a bible verse that shows you what God thinks about their choices.
The Atheists 10 Non-Commandments
- Be open minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence. “For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.” 2 Corinthians 2:16
- Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true. “For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.” 1 Corinthians 1:21
- The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world. “O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:” 1 Timothy 6:20
- Every person has the right to control over their body. “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?” 1 Corinthians 6:19
- God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life. “In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.” 2 Corinthians 4:4
- Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them. “But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out.” Numbers 32:23
- Treat others as you would want them to treat you and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective. “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.” John 13:34
- We have the responsibility to consider others including future generations. “There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.” Ecclesiastes 1:11
- There is no one right way to live. “There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.” Proverbs 14:12
- Leave the world a better place than you found it. “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.” 2 Peter 3:10