US Remains Silent As United Nations Works To Place Internet Under ‘International Control’
UN seeks to silence the Internet
Like most people, it is likely that you have never heard of the ITU before now. So please allow us to get you up to speed. The ITU, or International Telecommunication Union, is a treaty-based organization under the direct control of the United Nations. As you will see in this WSJ article, there is a major push on right now to wreste control on the Internet from it’s current public domain, and place it under “international control” (read ‘censorship’). This current assualt starts February 27th, 6 days from today.
From WSJ: On Feb. 27, a diplomatic process will begin in Geneva that could result in a new treaty giving the United Nations unprecedented powers over the Internet. Dozens of countries, including Russia and China, are pushing hard to reach this goal by year’s end. As Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said last June, his goal and that of his allies is to establish “international control over the Internet” through the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), a treaty-based organization under U.N. auspices.
If successful, these new regulatory proposals would upend the Internet’s flourishing regime, which has been in place since 1988. That year, delegates from 114 countries gathered in Australia to agree to a treaty that set the stage for dramatic liberalization of international telecommunications. This insulated the Internet from economic and technical regulation and quickly became the greatest deregulatory success story of all time.
Russia, China and their allies within the 193 member states of the ITU want to renegotiate the 1988 treaty to expand its reach into previously unregulated areas. Reading even a partial list of proposals that could be codified into international law next December at a conference in Dubai is chilling:
• Subject cyber security and data privacy to international control;
• Allow foreign phone companies to charge fees for “international” Internet traffic, perhaps even on a “per-click” basis for certain Web destinations, with the goal of generating revenue for state-owned phone companies and government treasuries;
• Impose unprecedented economic regulations such as mandates for rates, terms and conditions for currently unregulated traffic-swapping agreements known as “peering.”
• Establish for the first time ITU dominion over important functions of multi-stakeholder Internet governance entities such as the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, the nonprofit entity that coordinates the .com and .org Web addresses of the world;
• Subsume under intergovernmental control many functions of the Internet Engineering Task Force, the Internet Society and other multi-stakeholder groups that establish the engineering and technical standards that allow the Internet to work;
• Regulate international mobile roaming rates and practices.
While precious time ticks away, the U.S. has not named a leader for the treaty negotiation. We must awake from our slumber and engage before it is too late. Not only do these developments have the potential to affect the daily lives of all Americans, they also threaten freedom and prosperity across the globe. source – Wall Street Journal
|Print article||This entry was posted by NTEB News Desk on February 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm, and is filed under End Times, New World Order, One World Government, UN. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.|
about 1 week ago - 39 comments
President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry secretly agreed to elevate Iran to the status of seventh world power, as a strong inducement for signing the interim nuclear accord in Geneva Sunday, Nov. 24, for living up to its obligations in the coming six months and for then signing a comprehensive agreement.
about 1 week ago - 92 comments
about 2 weeks ago - 21 comments
about 2 weeks ago - 40 comments
EXPLOSIVE VIDEO: Obamacare Navigators Were Trained To Lie And Commit Knowing Fraud When Signing People Up
about 3 weeks ago - 4 comments
Barack Hussein Obama is public enemy #1 of the American people. Obama knew you would not keep your health plan, Obama knew your premiums would skyrocket, Obama was well aware of all the falsehoods and pitfalls of his master scheme to defraud America. He does not need to be brought up on charges of treason, he needs to be escorted out of the White House under armed guard and taken to Gitmo for incarceration.
about 1 month ago - 14 comments
about 1 month ago - 6 comments
about 1 month ago - 7 comments
about 1 month ago - 12 comments
The Boston Marathon bombings from last year were used as a thinly-veiled excuse to run a test trial of imposed martial law for a 24-hour period. The test was very successful. America’s next big war will be right at home, a civil war between the government and governed. Are you ready for what comes next?
about 1 month ago - 37 comments
Comments are closed.