Posts tagged attack
Continuous Palestinian missile blitz after Israel bombs 12 terrorist targets in Gaza
After the Israeli Air Force struck 12 Hamas and other terrorist targets in the Gaza Strip overnight Thursday, Aug. 18, a hail of missiles hit the towns of Ashdod, Beersheba, Ashkelon and the smaller Sdot Negev, Shar Hanegev and Eshkol villages in a continuous blitz Friday, Aug. 19. Ten worshippers were injured – two seriously – when one of the six Grads aimed at Ashdod hit a synagogue. Police detonated a second in a controlled explosion. The town’s population is advised to stay in sheltered spaces.
Since 20 heavily armed gunmen killed eight Israelis and injured 33 in a multiple terrorist attack outside Eilat in southern Israel Thursday, Israel’s armed forces, police and emergency services have been on high alert and reinforced. All weekend public events were cancelled in the South.
In the attack, gunmen from Gaza crossed the unfenced border from Egyptian into southern Israel and attacked two buses, two civilian cars and a military vehicle in an unfolding, complex terrorist operation which bore the signature of the Lebanese Hizballah and possibly al Qaeda fugitives from Iraq.
Seven were located and killed by police and army special forces. Shortly after the Palestinian attack, the Israeli Air Force struck a building in the southern Gaza town of Rafah, killing the six top leaders of the Popular Resistance Committees which directed the attack along with other Palestinian groups linked to al Qaeda. Israel’s overnight air strikes hit more PRC as well as Hamas installations, weapons stores and smuggling tunnels.
Israeli forces backed by helicopters dropping flares combed the 70 kilometers of borderland running south from the Gaza Strip along the Egyptian Sinai border to flush out escaped terrorists and explosives traps. The searches continue Friday. The death Thursday night of Border Police Counter-Terror Unit’s Senior NCO Paskal Avrahami, 49, from Jerusalem, raised the day’s toll from terrorist attacks to eight. He was killed by one of the terrorists at large who had crossed back into Sinai.
1st Sgt. Moshe Naftali, 22, from Ofra, member of the Golani unit, was killed in the multiple attacks earlier that day. The other six victims were civilians.
Egyptian forces carrying out an anti-terror operation in Sinai were beefed after the multiple attack in Israel to block further passage of terrorists from Gaza into Israel. One unit traded shots with a suicide team early Friday after Egyptian chief of staff Gen. Sami Annan paid an overnight visit to the Sinai forces. source – DEBKA
Read earlier reports:
Pipeline to Israel attacked
EL-ARISH, Egypt – Gunmen blew up a terminal along Egypt’s natural gas pipeline to Israel in the northern Sinai Peninsula Saturday, security officials said.
It is the third attack on the pipeline this month and the fifth since the 18-day uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak in February. No gas has been flowing through the pipeline since the last attack on the pipeline on July 12.
Officials said the militants destroyed the terminal in al-Shulaq, about 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Egypt’s border with the Gaza Strip. It is the last terminal before the line enters the sea on its way to Israel.
The attackers approached in a truck, fired rocket-propelled grenades at the facility, then placed dynamite inside to blow it up, the officials said.
There was no security at the terminal, which contained no gas, and no one was injured, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but officials blamed a militant Bedouin group that has clashed with security forces in northern Sinai. In the region’s main city of el-Arish, Six people were killed in clashes Friday, including a military officer and a police captain. Security forces arrested four militants. source- CNBC
The song remains the same
At least one U.S. military serviceman has been arrested in connection with an alleged plot to attack Fort Hood nearly two years after a deadly shooting rampage at the base, Fox News has learned exclusively.
Pvt. Naser Jason Abdo, an AWOL soldier from Fort Campbell, Kentucky, was arrested by the Killeen Police Department near Fort Hood and remains in custody there.
Abdo, 21, was found with weapons, explosives and jihadist materials at the time of his arrest, a senior Army source confirms to Fox News. He was arrested at around 2 p.m. Wednesday after someone called authorities to report a suspicious individual.
Eric Vasys, a spokesman with the FBI’s San Antonio Office, said authorities found firearms and bomb making components, which he described as smokeless gun powder, inside Abdo’s motel room. Sources also say Abdo was attempting to make a purchase at Guns Galore in Killeen, the same ammunition store where Major Nidal Hasan purchased weapons that were allegedly used to gun down 13 people and wound 30 others on Nov. 5, 2009.
Law enforcement officials suspect Abdo was planning an attack in or around Ft. Hood, though they say the exact target is not clear.
Bob Jenkins, a Fort Campbell spokesman, told Fox News that Abdo was also being investigated for child pornography found on his government computer.
Abdo went AWOL on July 4. On the eve of his first deployment to Afghanistan — after only one year in the Army — Abdo applied for conscientious objector status. It was denied by his superiors at Ft. Campbell but later overturned by the Assistant Deputy Secretary of the Army review board. source – Fox News
Not rocket science
Yesterday we reported on the pilot that refused to take off with the 3 muslim clerics, dressed in full Muslim garb, on his plane. When we posted to story, we took some heat for “racism” against Muslim people. What we didn’t know that at the same time that story happened, this one was underway as well. So again we say BRAVO to the pilots who exercised common sense in not wanting to fly with Muslim radicals on his plane. And it seems to us that Muslim attacks on US flights, in the light of Bin Laden’s timely death, are increasing. You will also note that the writer’s of the NY Daily News story below refuse to use the word “muslim” in identifiying the Yemeni man who launched the attack against the pilots.
Passenger pounding on cockpit on American Airlines flight subdued; third mid-air meltdown in one day
“Travelers aboard an American Airlines flight were forced to subdue an out-of-control passenger who began pounding on the cockpit door and screamed unintelligibly, police said. The terrifying episode ended when flight attendants and passengers wrestled him to the ground and handcuffed him as the plane approached San Francisco late Sunday.
The flight – which was headed from Chicago – was carrying 162 people. The suspect was identified as Rageit Almurisi, a 28-year-old Yemeni national. He faces federal charges of interfering with a flight crew.
The chilling incident followed two other mid-air meltdowns on the same day.
In one, a Continental flight to Chicago was diverted to St. Louis after a passenger tried to open a door. The second episode involved a Delta Airlines flight that was diverted to Albuquerque, N.M. after a note was found in a bathroom with the word “bomb” written on it. The plane was searched and no explosives were found.” source – NY Daily News
Does anyone remember Ft. Hood?
SAN DIEGO — One of the nation’s largest military bases is reportedly under tighter security after three Middle Eastern men tried to enter without proper authorization. 10News learned the three men — 40-year-old Afghani Ahmad Rahmani Naeem, 41-year-old Iranian Vahik Petrossian and 27-year-old Iranian Sengekdi Norvik Avanosian — attempted to get into Camp Pendleton last weekend under what was considered suspicious circumstances.
On Wednesday, base officials said there was no threat, but others on the base told 10News security has been stepped up. According to a Be On the Lookout (BOLO) alert issued to high-ranking Camp Pendleton officials, someone reported hearing hateful comments and terrorist threats from three men at a gas station in Oceanside Saturday.
Investigators at Camp Pendleton said the men asked the attendant for directions on how to get to Camp Pendleton before they left the gas station.
According to the alert, shortly after midnight Sunday, a rented silver Toyota Corolla driven by Naeem attempted to enter Camp Pendleton through the main gate. As it was being searched, Petrossian and Avanosian drove up in a black Mercedes, but were told to wait. Instead, they continued past the gate and onto the base. Following a short pursuit, the Mercedes was stopped and searched.
No weapons or contraband were found in the Mercedes, but base security noticed the air bag in the steering wheel of the Mercedes had been pulled out and re-attached with duct tape and had wires hanging free, the alert said. According to the alert, Naaem told base security he was lost and was trying to go to Glendale. When interviewed, Petrossian and Avanosian said they were lost and trying to go to Glendale. The three men claimed not to know each other, the alert said. Naaem, Petrossian and Avanosian were photographed and released after questioning, and a warning about the trio was posted to law enforcement.” source – 10 News
Anarchists today broke away from one of the largest protests Britain has ever seen to bring chaos to the streets of London. The Ritz hotel and Fortnum & Mason were among the buildings targeted in the capital after groups of rampaging youths intent on spreading havoc left the mass anti-cuts demonstration.
Around 500,000 activists and campaigners descended on London this morning to protest at the Government’s drastic cuts programme. But while the main march and rally in Hyde Park, which was addressed by Labour leader Ed Miliband, remained peaceful, splinter groups of anarchists went wild.
Hundreds of activists – many wearing masks and hoods – disrupted traffic, set off fireworks and flares in the busiest areas of the city including Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Street and Regent Street. Lightbulbs filled with ammonia and paintbombs were thrown at police as they desperately tried to keep the peace.
Topshop and HSBC had their windows smashed, while paint and glass bottles were thrown at a Royal Bank of Scotland branch. The marauders also attacked The Ritz near Green Park, where they smashed windows with bins and road signs. UK Uncut, an anti-cuts direct action group, later occupied the Fortnum & Mason store in Piccadilly, claiming the firm had ‘dodged’ paying taxes.
Nine arrests were made and some police officers were injured.” source -Daily Mail Uk
On the wings of eagles
Shortly before the UN Security Council met Thursday, March 17, to discuss a no-fly zone resolution for Libya, Moscow promised Washington and other Western capitals not to apply a veto, debkafile’s sources report exclusively.
The US, British, French, UAE and Qatar air forces were on standby to attack Libyan army targets as soon as the resolution is passed. If attacked, Libya threatens retaliation against civilian and military targets in Europe and the Middle East, according to a statement from the Defense Ministry in Tripoli..
In Tunis, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton explained that a UN no-fly zone over Libya “would require the bombing of targets to take out the threat posed by Muammar Qaddafi’s regime.”
She spoke after Cairo rejected Washington’s request for the use of Egyptian air bases to enforce the no fly zone against Libya and from which to launch US air attacks on Qaddafi’s army. This too is disclosed by debkafile’s exclusive sources.
Earlier Thursday, March 17, debkafile reported: Shortly before she left Egypt for Tunis Wednesday, March 16, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urgently asked the head of Egypt’s military junta Field Marshal Mohammed Tantawi for permission to use Egyptian air bases for American military jets to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya. This is reported exclusively by debkafile’s military and Washington sources.
Clinton told Tantawi she hoped for UN Security Council approval of the no-fly zone at its special session Thursday March 17. But this might not be enough to stop Muammar Qaddafi’s advance and the US might have to resort to military action against his army. She did not elaborate on this. In Tunis, she said later that a UN no-fly zone over Libya would require the bombing of targets to take out the threat posed by Muammar Qaddafi’s regime.” source – DEBKA